Sunday, September 18, 2005

It's been a slow week

Nothing official on the workout schedule (that is nothing set by the coach). Just taking some time off, relaxing and enjoying have a bit of time to myself. Or at least I was enjoying myself until about Wednesday and then I started to get a little bit restless.

Tuesday and Thursday I ran with the run group that I "coach". Their big weekend is next weekend when the two of them will run their first half marathon ever. Last weekend I paced them on their final long run (10 miles) and they did extremely well. The planned finish time is 2:45 for the half, so I set the long run pace accordingly. They came in with five minutes to spare consistently hitting each kilometer split 5-6 minutes ahead of schedule. So they are definitely good to go.

Friday I rode the computrainer for the first time since it arrived. I rode a test course and then rode the first 10K of the Ironman Couer d'Alene course. It is way more fun to ride than the fluid trainer. The changing profile as you ride (even if it is just slight changes in grade) makes riding feel so much more realistic. Also, on the fluid trainer you have to shift to a harder gear to simulate a hill (which is the opposite of what you do when you are climbing), but with the computrainer, the change in tension comes from the trainer, so you can shift to an easier gear like you would when you climb. This lets you also practice your shifting strategy, learning to shift gears at the right time when climbing. This is something I still need to work on. So it looks like this should make riding through the winter a lot more fun. I was however disappointed to see how little wattage I was producing. Just goes to show that I am a pretty weak rider. No where to go but up, right?

I had hoped to ride this morning, but I cleaned up my bike last night to get it ready (it was still dirty after the rainy ride in PEC). When I rode it down the road to check everything it was making a grinding noise. Sort of like the noise your chain makes when it is touching the derailleur. But that wasn't the problem. I installed compact cranks a few months ago and they are cartridge style meaning they are sealed. So I don't see how any water or dirt is in there screwing things up. I'm going to take it to the shop this afternoon and see if they can diagnose the issue. If it just needs more cleaning, I'll bring it home and do it myself. I am also hoping that the bottom bracket is still under warranty (if that is indeed the problem). So no ride for me unless I get it in me to get back on the computrainer, but why would I do that when the sun is shining??

PSST, mom, dad, I'm putting one of these on my Christmas list:


It's a bike repair stand. I'm sure any good bike store has some in stock. (hint hint).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home