Sunday, September 25, 2005

My first experience as a pace bunny

I have been leading a group out of my local YMCA for about 2 years and have been running specifically with two women during that time. They are amazing women in their 50s who were totally troopers running through the very best and the very worst of conditions with no fail! One of them decided to aim for a spring half marathon but was not confident she could do it. I put together a training schedule for them and the other woman decided to come along for the ride. I ran twice a week with them, and then the other two runs they did on their own (or together, but without me). I ran their final long run with them so we could run most of the course to scope it out and so that I could see what kind of pace I thought they could hold for the race. They were surprised with this long run that they had gotten faster just by running consistently.

While their goal was to finish, they thought 2:45 was doable for them. I told them 2:40 was definitely doable as well. I was going to run with them for company and to help them keep pace. so i made the pace band for 2:45 but with the expectation that we would likely be a bit faster.

despite the crowd (5000 runners) we were on pace from the beginning and built a 5:00 buffer. we lost this 5:00 at the 3K mark when we stopped for the porta-potty. but since we got some rest in the line, we didn't take the next walk break (we do 12/1). we made up time nicely and everyone was doing well except the usual aches and complaints that come with longer running. I had warned them in training that final 5K was going to be tough. that is when you go beyond what you likely did in training (long run of 10 miles) and will need to just grit your teeth a bit. By the 16 or 17th km mark we were making good time and I was doing a bit of silent inventory to see if they could keep the pace. I stopped telling them we were ahead of schedule because I didn't want them to slow down just because the could. so we keep plugging and just encouraged them to check their posture and not give away any energy that way. In the final two kilometers we played a game. in order to focus on the positive as things got tough i had both of them come up with 5 positive things or things they loved about training for the race. that was a fun diversion.

with the finish line in sight i told them to do their best imitation of someone running well and just go for it. when we crossed the line i asked them to guess the finish time. One said 2:42 and the other said 2:45. When I told them 2:35 they lost their minds. I had never seen anyone happier.

So if you ever get the opportunity to lead up a group (especially those doing it for the first time) take it. It was so much fun to watch these women gain so much confidence during training, and to be so amazed at their ability to cross the finish line. It was also a real experience for me to learn how to remain positive and upbeat for those around me that are starting to struggle. I am usually the kind of person that "clams up" when the going gets tough and often thinks negatively. so having to remain positive and to keep smiling the whole time was a lesson I can take away for my own racing.

1 Comments:

Blogger lj said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience :) I was thinking of doing that race - going for 2:00, but skipped it.

(It's laura btw)

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home