Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Back to Slow...

With the end of the racing season comes the start of base training. Base training is a time to slow down and work at much lower intensities than you were when preparing to race. So last night I headed out in -11 with the winds gusting to 65 km/hour and attempted to keep my heart rate under 153. I was mostly successful, but old ladies with walkers were passing. It is kind of strange double state. On one hand there is a sense of frustration because your pace is so much slower than during the height of race season, but on the other hand the pace is slower and therefore the workout is more relaxing. There is more time to look around and just spend some time relaxing and thinking. So I am trying hard to let go of the speed judgements and just enjoy being outside.

I haven't mentioned the yoga class I started taking. Monday was the second class of six in a restorative yoga course that I am taking. I had started taking a yoga class at the gym, but many of the poses were making my back sore again, so I found this restorative class that is designed to address students with problem areas. It is a lovely class. It is 90 minutes long and all of the poses are supported in some way (with pillows, rolled blankets etc). So you get to enjoy being in the poses without all the stress of trying to hold your body in the proper alignment. It is not easy, and you are still working at gaining range of motion, so it can be uncomfortable. But it just feels safer and it is easier to let go. So I am really enjoying it. I am taking it at The Yoga Space if anyone is looking for a studio. The location is really beautiful.

Tonight I am scheduled to do my test on the computrainer. A tough 35 minute or so all out effort on a fairly easy course. This test determines your training parameters for the online 'competition' I am participating in over the winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home