Thursday, November 03, 2005

It's dark...

Well, daylight savings time has come and gone for another year. While we are enjoying a bit more daylight in the mornings, it is now pretty much dark when I go home at the end of the day. By the time I meet the group to run it is definitely dark. Between the leaves on the ground and the darkness, it makes for some dubious footing. Weather has definitely been nice for running though. Still getting some warm days. So with one more week or so to prepare for this 10 mile race I will keep my fingers crossed for nice weather come race day.

I am enjoying what seems to be a bit of an increase in run speed these days. I haven't been using my heart rate monitor this fall, running instead on perceived exertion and pace (based on my Timex Bodylink). I have been a convert to heart rate training since about 2000 when I bought my first Polar. And I still believe that it is an excellent way to train. But with some of the improvements this fall I find myself wondering if their usefulness might be in their timing. It seems early in the season as you ease into your training plan and lay the foundation for your racing season, they are an excellent tool. But I wonder if when the time comes for more "sharpening' as your race approaches if training by pace doesn't have a benefit as well. I find I am terrible at feeling certain paces and even the track hasn't really fixed that. I feel like I need more work at feeling pace on the road. So this fall has been a chance for me to try this out.

I haven't had much interest in knitting this week. Not sure why, but when I sit down on the couch in the evening I just don't feel like picking up the needles. I am on the last ball of yarn for the poncho, so I wish I would have done a bit of work on it because I probably could have finished it by week's end. I will likely be finished with the shrug this weekend if I pick that up.

Tomorrow I will attend my first yoga class in about 5 years. I figured it is time for me to deal with the fact that I can no longer touch my toes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home