Monday, January 30, 2006

A disruptive weekend...

But not in such a bad way. We have a (great) deck off our bedroom in our apartment. There were french doors that opened out onto the deck which were made of wood. I have lived in this apartment for 6 years and the doors have been there for all of them (and who knows how many before that). They are really nice doors, each square with an individual pane of glass. But the glass is not thermal and they aren't sealed. Basically they are nice 'antique' doors for someone that lives in the south of France. Eventually after many seasons of rain the doors warped. This winter they wouldn't close all the way and we were left with a small gap which let the cold winter wind through. We pulled the curtains in an attempt to keep it warm, but many nights I went to bed with the north wind licking my face as I drifted into dream land.

Toronto is in the middle of a condo boom and a crazy house buying market. So it is VERY difficult to find people to do small jobs as many of them are working on full scale remodels. But our landlords found this great guy that is working on a bed a breakfast remodel on their street. So this weekend they finally got over to replace the doors. It took them pretty much the whole weekend. The cat spent all of it huddled in the closet. But last night I went to bed a room that felt just about the right temperature and getting out of bed this morning finally wasn't torture.

I took advantage of the great weather on Saturday and did my run that day (14K). It was nice, but my heart rate is still high as I am waiting for this cold to go away. Sunday I rode the computrainer and worked at catching up on the challenge rides I missed when sick. Ride number 8 was just silly/crazy. The climbs didn't look that bad on the profile, but they got close to 10% grade. I didn't have enough gears and was pedalling at about 50 revolutions per minute (normally I ride at 88-90). It was a bit crazy, and a rude awakening after coming back from time off.

Had some great swims last week, so I look forward to that continuing this week. Yoga tonight.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello sweetpea. ;) Thanks for the comment, and I totally agree with you about the bike-built-for-two for Jack & Olivia. :) I see you're biking a lot at the gym these days, but if you're a cyclist in warmer weather, I'd be happy to add you to the Toronto Bike Blogs section of the site ... eventually I'll organize it by postal code when we have a lot of people linked, but the site is just starting out. :) All the best, Joe.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'll gladly add your link. :) You can email me at bikingtoronto@yahoo.com, if you want. Joe. ps. congratulations on your new deck doors. :)

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home