Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Road Rage and yoga...

Many of the Toronto newspapers are featuring a story today about car vs bike road rage. This is pretty crazy. While I will admit that maybe keying the guy's car was a bit of a bad idea, some of the other photos I found on the internet clearly show this is guy had some kind of rage going on. He outweighs this woman easily. Just crazy. While I will speak up if I believe I have been treated badly I really do try not to give bad behaviour back to someone that gives it to me. I do hope she at least presses some assault charges. I'm also not quite sure why this guy is driving his car through Kensington Market. Anyone that WALKS through there on a regular basis can tell you that taking a car through there is just a bad idea. Pedestrians rule there, as it should be.

Last night's yoga class was very very difficult and painful. We did a lot of butt/outer/inner hip work that is so hard on those of us that run and then don't stretch properly. I really wish I had a pen and paper in that class with me. My instructor really does say the best things. She is a 'true' yoga practitioner. She studied in India, and really enjoys the spiritual side of yoga. But she is the first instructor I have ever had that manages to pass on these teachings without ever sounding flaky and insincere. Last week and this week she has been reminding us (in light of the election!) that 'Your sense of calm has absolutely nothing to do with outside circumstances' ... a good lesson in every day life, as well as in yoga class when noise outside the studio can distract you. Yesterday was also about: 'Yoga, like life, means sometimes you don't always get what you think you should. Today might have been about embracing pain. Next week might be about embracing joy. You just never know. The best place to be is right in the centre, that is contentment.' I always try to remember what she says but it is one of those things that when she says it I think how perfect it is, and then I can't remember an hour later!

Had a decent swim this morning, but was a bit sore from lifting some weights yesterday. Did another 1000 meter time trial. Average pace was 1:58 per 100 meters, about 4 seconds per 100 faster than my last go at it. The lane was crowded today with people that probably should have been in the slow lane, so maybe I might have managed a bit faster if some of those 'obstacles' weren't there. But passing etc. is good practice for open water swimming with 2000 of your friends.

Will meet my run group this evening for a nice hour long easy run and then hopefully I will get the rest of the armhole decreases done for the front of the Banff sweater. Then it is on to the sleeves. I looked at the sleeve instructions and there is a lot of increasing and decreasing at the cuff part. I guess maybe to give a bit of grip in such a bulky sweater. Hopefully I can muddle my way through. When the whole thing is done I will have to invite my mom over for tea and crumpets so she can help me figure out how to put the thing together. This will be my first project that actually has 'shape' when it goes together (as opposed to a single seam on the shrug or poncho). I'm hoping the raglan sleeves won't be too tough.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link here, sweetpea, as well as the one in the triathlon forum. :)

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home